Monkeypox is spreading in the United Kingdom, Portugal, and Spain over 35 cases have been detected across the three countries. Including eight cases in England and 20 cases in Portugal so far and continue to grow.
A case in the united states has also been reported.
But what exactly is monkeypox:
- “Should we be worried?”
- “Where does it come from?”
- “Monkeypox symptoms?”
- “Is there a Treatment?”
What is MONKEYPOX?
Monkeypox is one of a family of about nine different pox viruses. It belongs to the orthopoxvirus family.
- It is a viral infection similar to smallpox.
Monkeypox is a zoonotic disease (which means that it can be spread to humans from infected animals).
According to the WHO, cases typically occur near tropical rainforests inhabited by animals that carry these viruses.
Monkeypox virus infections have been detected in squirrels, Rats, Rodents, and some species of monkeys.
human to human transmission is rare. it can be through:
- Contact with bodily fluids
- lesions on the skin
- the respiratory tract or
- through the eyes, nose, or mouth
- contaminated objects (such as bedding and clothing).
Monkeypox is a viral infection similar to smallpox involving a mix of symptoms including fever, headaches, backaches, muscle aches, swollen lymph nodes, chills, and exhaustion.
– according to CDC
The monkeypox virus usually causes mild illness in patients:
Symptoms can appear between 5 to 21 days after the infection, and the virus can last for two to four weeks.
- Usually, within one to three days of the onset of fever, patients usually develop rashes that begin on the face and spread to other parts of their bodies.
- The rash changes and goes through different stages before finally forming a scab which later falls off.
|7-14 days (or) 4-21 days|
How does it spread?
The infection can spread when someone makes contact with an infected person or with something they have touched and contaminated.
However, the risk of transmission to the general population is very low.
The virus mostly affects a younger age group and up to 10 percent of people with monkey pox may die.
- Cases of monkeypox outside of Africa have usually occurred due to international travel or imported animals.
- Monkeypox cases have been reported in Israel, the USA, Singapore, and the United Kingdom.
|According to the WHO:|
|~ The proportion of patients who die has varied between 0 and 11% in documented cases.|
~ Higher among young children.
Where is monkeypox found?
Monkeypox primarily originates in the tropical rainforests of central and west African countries and it is mainly spread through wild animals.
the world health organization (WHO) says that the ‘natural reservoir of monkey pox has not yet been identified’
But the virus mostly transmits from rodents and primates.
|According to the U.S. center for disease control and prevention (CDC):|
|1. The infection was first discovered in 1958.|
2. Two outbreaks of a pox-like disease were recorded in colonies of monkeys that were kept for research which led to the name Monkeypox.
Where was the first case of monkeypox found?
The infection was first discovered in 1958 after a pox-like disease outbreak occurred in monkeys used for research.
- The first human case of monkeypox was recorded in the democratic republic of the congo in 1970.
- The most recent monkey pox case was confirmed in England on May 7th with two new cases emerging since then.
– according to the Health Security Agency.
|1. Since 1970: 11 African countries have reported human cases of monkey pox|
Is there a Treatment?
Unfortunately, monkeypox has no proven treatment yet.
Monkeypox causes symptoms similar to smallpox although they are less severe. Currently, there is no specific treatment for monkeypox.
Although a new vaccinia-based vaccine was approved for the prevention of smallpox and monkeypox in 2019.
It is not yet widely available to the public
|the who recommends supportive treatment depending on the symptoms|
What is Monkeypox?
monkeypox is one of a family of about nine different pox viruses and the one we all think
about is smallpox.
What are its symptoms?
It starts as a fever, a skin rash, and maybe some aches.
Is monkeypox deadly?
it is, not deadly if you get high-quality medical care.
Should be we worried about monkeypox?
monkeypox is not hugely infectious.
How does monkeypox spread?
The spreads when are up close and personal with an animal or a person who has it.
|Explained: Heat Wave in India? I Dual crisis|
Let’s understand Reason: Heat wave, it is so hot that the heat is causing landfills to catch fire. Rising temperatures, Coal shortage, Powercuts … [Continue Reading]